Comedian Katt Williams makes bond, stays in jail | News
GAINESVILLE, Ga. -- Comedian Katt Williams was originally expected to walk out of jail Wednesday after making bond on some serious violent charges.
But 11Alive has learned that he may be spending his night behind bars after all.
Officials confirmed that there are no new charges but said that he violated his previous bond order from another charge.
He will have to appear before a state court judge before he is released. His next hearing has not yet been set.
It’s the latest in a string of allegations of bad behavior by the funny man – charges victims say are no laughing matter.
But Williams’s attorneys are earning their keep, now, putting together the $60,000 bond. And they did almost the exact same thing the previous week.
“I don’t think setting a bond is appropriate,” the district attorney said.
Calling comedian Katt Williams a threat to the community, he tried but failed to keep him in jail.
In the wee hours of Feb. 28, inside the comedian’s sprawling lake house in Gainesville, Ga., investigators said he ordered the beating of a bodyguard – and watched as this female in his entourage, Tatiana Smith, 24, used a baseball bat to do it.
The bodyguard told authorities Williams threatened to kill him if he told anyone. And a search of the home days later turned up a large amount of marijuana and guns.
This follows allegations from women the previous week that Williams and his entourage attacked them and put a gun in their faces.
The same night, a man inside an Atlanta club reported that as he tried to take a video of the comedian “Katt Williams slapped the iPhone out of his hand … then punched him three times in the face.”
Williams was booked into the same jail a week ago for allegedly punching an employee in the face at a pool supply store in Gainesville.
So 11Alive asked Williams’s attorney if the comedian was on a downward spiral. Attorney Drew Findling chalks it all up to the price of fame.
“He not only entertains crowds - standing room only crowds - and venues all over the United States, but he goes out afterwards and he enjoys the community and enjoys the social life," Findling said. "And he just subjects himself, unfortunately, to being a target for allegations and lawsuits.”
11Alive asked specifically about those allegations on those other days and he said he is personally still looking into all of those things.
Meanwhile, the woman who is actually accused of aggravated assault, Smith, remains behind bars.
PHOTOS | The mugshots of Katt Williams
Here is a breakdown of the incidents:
INCIDENT DATE: Feb. 28, 2016 (Gainesville, Ga.)
- Williams and a 24-year-old woman are accused of beating, choking, imprisoning and threatening to kill one of his bodyguards
- Hall County Deputies executed a search warrant at his Gainesville home on March 8 and found large quantities of marijuana and several firearms.
- Williams is charged with aggravated assault, terroristic threats and false imprisonment. He is also facing drug and weapons charges.
More on this incident, here.
INCIDENT DATE: Feb. 28, 2016 (Atlanta)
- Williams is accused of pointing a gun at five women before attacking, detaining and robbing them.
- Atlanta police temporarily detained Williams but let him go without an arrest
More on this incident, here.
INCIDENT DATE: Feb. 29, 2016 (Gainesville, Ga.)
- Williams is accused of punching an employee of a pool supply store during an argument in Gainesville
- When police arrived, Williams was reportedly "lying on the ground with his hands behind his back as though he was ready to go to jail."
- He was arrested and is charged with battery.
- More on this incident, here.
Photos | Mug shots
Photos | More celebrity mug shots